5 Easy Ways to Save Money and the Planet
by CashTime Loan Centers
When we think about ‘saving the planet’, a lot of individuals are under the assumption it is a significant financial burden to make that switch. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to break the bank to help the environment. In fact, it can actually be very inexpensive. Making subtle and small changes over time can make becoming an ‘eco-friendly’ household within reach. Below are a few inexpensive and/or free ways you can save the planet and save money at the same time.
1. Drive less. Although sometimes utilizing your vehicle is inevitable and can’t be avoided, there are plenty of opportunities to walk or bike to your destination. Not only is this helping the environment, it is also helping your wallet by saving you gas and it’s helping your health when you can get out and get some fresh air and exercise.
2. Switch to reusables. As we all know, plastics are one of the main harmful contributors to our planet and avoiding them can make a huge environment impact. Plastic water bottles are one of the largest contributing factors to our planet’s excessive waste, given it does not decompose. By switching to a reusable water bottle, you are helping the environment and it is way cheaper than buying plastic water bottles from the store! Plastic bags are another example. Instead of Ziploc or plastic bags, switch to reusable bags and tupperware that you can use over and over again rather than just one time.
3. Minimize use of electronics. We all know that the electric bill each month can really take a hit on our bank accounts. By shutting off all lights and electronics when you are not using them, you are helping the environment and your bank account. Ensure if you aren’t using something, unplug it! Any time you leave a room in the house, remember to shut those lights off. Little things like this can make huge impacts on your finances and the planet.
4. Buy used. Thrift and second-hand stores sometimes get a negative reputation in our society. However, buying used goods can help the environment and help save you money. Lucky for you, it is actually in style to buy and wear clothes from Goodwill and other thrift stores so your reputation won’t suffer either. Plus, there are antiques and treasures in these stores that you can’t find at any chain clothing or home goods store!
5. Stop wasting food. Our society has a bad habit of buying and consuming more than they need. By cutting back, we can make a positive impact on the environment and save money on groceries. Try cutting your weekly grocery budget by $25. You will find that you still have plenty of food for the week, and because there is less of it, you can make it last longer. Not only is this great for your bank account and the planet, but it can also make a positive impact on your health! Just remember, less is more.
These are just a few ways you can save money while also saving the planet. By making small changes in your life, you might be surprised how much it can make an impact. Start 2020 off on a positive note and start to make some of these transitions in your home today! Your bank account, health, and the planet will thank you for it.